We are a congregation of the Church of Scotland within West Lothian presbytery.
As part of the national church, our mission is to provide a centre of worship, witness and service to the
whole community in our parish. Our services and organisations are open to all.
Our mission statement is
We are Christian people, seeking to live as disciples of Jesus Christ in today’s world. With the help of the
Holy Spirit we try to follow his teaching, and to encourage and support each other in our lives of discipleship.
A brief history
The origins of Brucefield Church go back to 1766, when a Secession Church, a breakaway from the Parish Church, was formed. A
Church was built at the junction of Longridge Road and Dixon Terrace, where today a memorial plaque marks the spot. This building
was known as “the barracks”, although in reality it housed only theological students, never soldiers! They came to Whitburn to study
under the first minister, Professor Archibald Bruce.
In the 19th century the congregation became Whitburn Free Church and moved to a new building on the Main Street. Today known
as the Shaw Hall this is still part of the Brucefield buildings.
It was in 1929, with the union of the United Free Church and the Established Church, that the congregation first took the name
The present sanctuary was built in 1966, and is ‘A’ listed by Historic Scotland as a building of major architectural interest.
Interim Moderator is Rev
Sandra Boyd.From 1st
Minister is Rev Graham
Mr Jeff Wight
Mrs Liz Ferguson
Depute Session Clerk